Saturday 17 March 2012

Long, long time....

I'd sort of forgotten I started this blog five years ago. I had some nice pictures of the apple trees in the garden I suppose, and this vague thought that I might be about to start doing something more interesting with it than just letting the kids trash it and I could blog about it by way of keeping a record. Well, no. It's still trashed. So what's changed?
What's changed is me. Five years older and a whole lot creakier. I've developed a nice range of spinal problems...I'll spare you the details but basically they mean I can't lift things like I used to, I can't dig much, I tire extremely easily and my balance is off, so I keep tripping over things. I take a nice selection of drugs for this and they've been an absolute life saver for pain control and keeping me mobile, belive me, but over the past couple of years I've been having to stop a lot of activities that I used to enjoy. Cycling is difficult because my balance is unreliable when I stop and put a foot down. (And topple sideways into the traffic, eek!) Camping is really tiring, especially the setting up and if it's damp. And the allotment is getting to be a real chore. It's just too big for me these days and too much work.

Which brings me back to the garden. I've decided that this will be my last year of the allotment and that I'm going to start up a veg patch in the garden instead. The allotment rent year ends in November so that's when I'm going to give up my plot. This will give me plenty of time to get some beds established in the garden, take cuttings, move plants from the allotment and sort things out properly so I can hand over the plot in good condition.

So that's what this blog is going to be about. No, not the allotment, it's going to be about setting up my new kitchen garden.

No comments: